It doesn’t stop there; if you are planning to get married, there are a few reasons why it may be a good idea to book a portrait session with your wedding photographer before your wedding day:
- Get to know your photographer: A portrait session is a great opportunity to get to know your photographer and see how they work. This can help you feel more comfortable and relaxed on your wedding day, knowing that you’ve already worked with your photographer and know what to expect.
- Test out your photographer’s style: A portrait session is a good way to see how your photographer captures your personality and relationship. It can also give you an idea of their shooting style and the types of poses and shots they typically take.
- Get comfortable in front of the camera: Many people are not used to being photographed, and a portrait session can help you and your partner get more comfortable in front of the camera. This can be especially helpful if you’re feeling nervous about having your photo taken on your wedding day.
- See how your photographer edits: A portrait session is a good opportunity to see how your photographer edits and retouches the photos. This can give you an idea of what the final images from your wedding day will look like.
Overall, a portrait session can be a valuable experience for both you and your photographer, as it can help you get to know each other and ensure that you’re comfortable and confident in front of the camera on your wedding day.
All things portrait photography including preparing for a shoot location and other helpful tips!
Portrait photography is a general term.
You can have an engagement session, a couples portrait session, a graduation portrait session, a family portrait session, or a solo portrait session, and the list goes on. Essentially you are documenting a significant milestone in life.
Whether you are celebrating a birthday or a new baby or want to document this particular time in your life or Improve your online presence, a portrait session is a perfect way to do it. A portrait session is an investment in yourself and your personal brand. It’s a chance to celebrate and document your unique personality and style and create beautiful images you can share with the world.
I will work with you to create beautiful, timeless images that you can treasure for years.
- Choose the right outfit: It's important to choose an outfit that you feel comfortable and confident in, and that complements your partner's outfit. Avoid wearing clothes with busy patterns or logos, as they can be distracting in the photographs.
- Plan your hair and makeup: Consider getting your hair and makeup professionally done, or doing it yourself if you feel comfortable. The goal is to look polished and put-together, but still natural.
- Consider the location: Think about the location of the portrait session and choose an outfit that complements the setting. For example, if you'll be at the beach, you may want to wear light and flowy clothing, while if you'll be in a formal garden, you may want to wear something more formal.
- Bring props: Consider bringing props that have special meaning to you as a couple, such as a bouquet of flowers, a special piece of jewelry, or a sentimental object.
- Practice your poses: Practice posing in front of a mirror or with a friend to get an idea of what poses feel comfortable and natural for you. This will help you feel more confident and relaxed during the portrait session.
- Communicate with your partner: Make sure to communicate with your partner about what you both want out of the portrait session, and take the time to discuss any concerns or ideas you have. This will help ensure that you both feel comfortable and relaxed during the session.
Here are a few things to consider when preparing for a portrait session:
Some options to consider include:
There are many beautiful locations in New York City that would make for great backdrop for a portrait session.
- Central Park: With its many picturesque landscapes, Central Park is a popular choice for couples portrait sessions. Some notable locations within the park include the Bethesda Fountain, the Bow Bridge, and the Strawberry Fields memorial.
- Brooklyn Bridge: The iconic Brooklyn Bridge offers a stunning backdrop for couples portraits, with views of the Manhattan skyline and the East River.
- High Line: The High Line is a public park built on an elevated former railroad track on the west side of Manhattan. It offers a unique and modern setting for couples portraits, with views of the Hudson River and the city skyline.
- Dumbo: Dumbo, or Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass, is a neighborhood in Brooklyn known for its cobblestone streets and beautiful views of the Manhattan Bridge and the East River.
- Times Square: Times Square is a bustling and vibrant location in the heart of Manhattan, known for its bright lights and billboards. It can make for an exciting and memorable setting for couples portraits.
Other options to consider include the New York Public Library, Grand Central Terminal, and the New York City skyline from a rooftop or a ferry ride.
- Planting Fields Arboretum: Located in Oyster Bay, the Planting Fields Arboretum is a beautiful botanical garden with formal gardens, wooded areas, and a rose garden. It offers a variety of landscapes for couples portraits, including a Japanese garden and a formal Italian garden.
- Jones Beach State Park: Jones Beach State Park is a popular destination on Long Island, known for its beautiful beaches and boardwalk. It offers a variety of landscapes for couples portraits, including the beach, the boardwalk, and the iconic West End Tower.
- Sagamore Hill National Historic Site: Sagamore Hill was the home of Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th President of the United States. Located in Oyster Bay, the historic site offers a variety of landscapes for couples portraits, including the beautiful grounds and gardens surrounding the mansion.
- Old Westbury Gardens: Old Westbury Gardens is a historic mansion and gardens located in Old Westbury, New York. It offers a variety of landscapes for couples portraits, including formal gardens, wooded areas, and the grand mansion.
- Long Island Wine Country: Long Island is home to many wineries and vineyards, which offer beautiful landscapes for couples portraits. Some options to consider include the Peconic Bay Winery in Cutchogue and the Bedell Cellars in Cutchogue.